Chipperfield Logo

The Village

houses_1

Chipperfield is a small active village situated on a crossroads approximately 5 miles south-west of Hemel Hempstead and the same distance north-west of Watford. The village occupies a site some 1.75 miles east to west and 1.75 miles north to south on a chalk plateau at the edge of the Chilterns, some 130 to 160 metres above sea level. The chalk is overlain with pebbly clay and sand to the south and east and clay with flints to the north and west. There are two dry valleys where the chalk is exposed i.e. at Dunny Lane and Whippendell Bottom.

The village roads are bordered by an attractive mix of gardens, fields, hedges and woodland rather than solid walls. There is an extensive network of footpaths, pavements and permissive bridleways, most of which are well maintained. The white painted signposts and wooden public benches are in harmony with the character of the village.

horses_1Chipperfield Common, gifted in 1936 to the local authority to be maintained in consultation with the people of Chipperfield, extends to over 100 acres and is well used by local residents and visitors from the surrounding area. Most of the common woodland is secondary woodland estimated as varying in age between 80 and 176 years old, which has regenerated as the grazing of livestock fell out of practice. There are eight large mature sweet chestnut trees which are regarded as veteran trees, of great historical and landscape importance estimated to date back to between 1600 and 1620. The Common is the best known and valued feature in the village.

The whole of the parish has been included within the Metropolitan Green Belt. There are 16 designated footpaths across the common and farmlands giving a great opportunity for all to appreciate Chipperfield’s rural landscape.

path_1Despite its proximity to Hemel Hempstead and Watford, the village has maintained its rural character and surrounds with a mixture of open farmland, wooded areas and copses. The Bulstrode farmland is notable for its lack of hedges, since an area enclosed by 29 hedges has been consolidated into a single field. The farmland east of the Manor House and descending into the dry Whippendale valley is characterised by medium-sized hedged fields. It is considered attractive and was designated a Landscape Conservation Area under the Dacorum Borough Local Plan adopted in 1995. Fields come right into the village and provide an agricultural setting for adjoining housing. This can be seen on Tower Hill, in Dunny Lane and also in the Chapel Croft/Kings Lane area

This page is edited by Russ

51 CommentsRSS

Clive Bailey

On a recent stroll around Chipperfield, we noticed that the names ‘David Nobbs’ and ‘Camilla’ were inscribed on the gates from the common to St Paul’s churchyard. Is the David Nobbs referred to the playwright and author? If so, this seems very odd as he was well known as a fervent humanist!

September 10, 2017

Comment on "The Village"

Comments posted here will be publicly visible. This is not a means of contact.