Chipperfield Logo

Village Hall A.g.m.

20th of July 2008

The Chairman of the Village Hall Committee, Richard Edwards, welcomed representatives of user organisations to the 24th AGM held on 4 June. He reported that following a two-year freeze of rental charges, it will be necessary to increase rates from September 1 this year to meet higher operating costs and anticipated rises in the price of gas, electricity and water. £4,800 had been spent on internal decorations in August 2007 and a further £2,500 will be spent on sanding and sealing the floor this August. The cost of sanding the floor has been met by a grant from the Parish Council and £800 had been received from Chipperfield News. The Chairman thanked all members of the Committee for their support during the year and praised Mrs. Moreen Wheeler for her vigilance as a caretaker and her assistance showing the premises to prospective hirers.
Tony Cornell, the Treasurer, presented the annual accounts, drawing attention to the income of just under £20,000 and the expenditure of just over £20,000, which led to a deficit of just over £1,000. The balance sheet recorded net assets of £28,500 after absorbing the deficit.
Ann Stickland, Secretary, read out the names of proposed Committee members for the forthcoming year, confirming one vacancy. Offers or proposals to fill the vacancy should be made to the Chairman or Secretary.
Next year the Village Hall celebrates its centenary. It was built in 1909 by Mr. Burgin of Bovingdon at a cost of £450. The original building was officially opened by the Bishop of St. Albans in July 1909 and the Village Hall Committee will discuss possible celebration events at its next meeting in September.

 
This page is edited by Tony

Comment on "Village Hall A.g.m."

Comments posted here will be publicly visible. This is not a means of contact.

.