Chipperfield Logo

Why Windmill Hill? Part 2

19th of May 2005

An article on windmills by Cyril Moore states that Richard Cromack was the miller when the smock mill was advertised in 1828 and that he was still there in 1832.
The following details acquired from census returns are quite informative about the fortunes of the mill:- 1851 William Rogers aged 32, who had a wife and three children, employed one man and was a Master Miller. 1871 John Loves, aged 31, had a wife, was in partnership with his brother Alfred, employed one man and was a miller and baker. 1881 James Wiggins, who lived at the Mill House, was a groom and a gardener and his wife was a laundress, so by this date it appears that there were no longer any resident millers. Perhaps the mill had been taken over by Tooveys of Kings Langley Mill who were sending their millers in to run it, as and when required.
Miss Liddle records in her book that a Mrs. Walker could recall the wagons going in and out of the mill gates and that the mill was still working in 1877. Also Mrs. Goodman, born in 1858, recorded in 1935 that she was one of the children allowed to go and cart wood home when the mill was broken up. Even more helpful was the information from Mrs. Durrant, who was told by her grandmother that the mill was still standing in 1881.
Sadly mechanisation brought about the demise of Chipperfield’s windmill. It could no longer compete with mills fitted with steam operated rollers which could work for longer hours and were not dependent on the wind alone.
Still the memory of the village’s mill lives on, in the names of Windmill Hill, the Mill House and The Windmill pub.
Mary Nobb

 
This page is edited by Tony

Comment on "Why Windmill Hill? Part 2"

Comments posted here will be publicly visible. This is not a means of contact.

.