Chipperfield Logo

John Nichols 1925 – 2004

2nd of March 2004

John Derek Francklyn Nichols was born in 1925 and educated in Watford and at Haileybury College. After a short spell at Caius College, Cambridge he joined the Royal Engineers and served in India and Japan. On his return he met Mimi and they married in 1950. The family moved to Chipperfield in 1952.
John qualified as a Chartered Accountant and worked for a variety of companies including an insurance broker, an oil storage firm, a safe manufacturer and a publisher – which explains why Mole House is full of books. His accountancy skills proved invaluable to many local organisations as he prepared their accounts and performed audits. When he retired the family thought that he might take things a little easier. Not so – he took on even more voluntary work.
Johns love of Chipperfield and commitment to local affairs saw him elected as a Parish Councillor in 1967 and he served as Chairman for a number of years. In 1977 John was elected to Dacorum Borough Council and he remained a member until 1999. He spent a most enjoyable and fulfiling year as Mayor in 1987-88. John was very proud and honoured when he became an Honorary Alderman in 1999.
His sons, Peter and Alan, and daughter Yvonne, have fond memories of family holidays and excursions. As a grandparent, John doted on his grand-children, Hannah and Paul.
Chipperfield and the wider local community benefited greatly from Johns talent and interest in local affairs. He will be greatly missed.

 
This page is edited by Tony

Comment on "John Nichols 1925 – 2004"

Comments posted here will be publicly visible. This is not a means of contact.

.